Saturday, October 10, 2009

So, Peru eh?


So, I think I told most or all of you, but I applied to do a service project thing in Peru through an organization called YouthLINC through the state of Utah.

I'll just tell you / the world a little bit about it. Its July 2 - July 15. I realize I will be missing one important date. Sorry Alicia, I won't be home for your birthday. But it is only 2 weeks after all. Which is what I like about it. It is not all summer so if I get accepted and go I will still get to come home for a month in the summer. There were 4 places I could apply for: Kenya, Thailand, Peru, and Mexico. Kenya was the most expensive one ($25oo) then Thialand and Peru ($15oo) and Mexico ($1000). I talked to dad and he didn't really want me to go to Kenya or Mexico. Too dangerous I guess. I really wanted to go to Thailand, but the Peru one makes more sense. My friend/former roommate Jenny told me about it and she is going to Peru. Thialand is also in the middle of spring term which I will be staying for I think this year. So this way I get to still go to a cool country. One day though I really want to go to do a study abroad for a term like Joe did. I think it would be really cool to go somewhere in Europe.

So what I do if I get accepted is I have to do 80 hours of community service before I can go. And at least 50 hours at one place. Then that place will probably sponsor me to go and then I get/ask other people if they want to sponsor me. (I'm not really good at asking people for money though. So I'm gonna have to think about how to do that one.) So they say about half the kids get enough to cover the entire cost of the trip. Which is exciting so I might get it all paid for. But again, I have to get accepted first so this is still all up in the air. I don't want to get my hopes up too high just in case. But I think it would be cool if I do get to go.

So start saving your pennies people because donations to YouthLINC are tax-deductible. :)
So, what do you guys think?

5 comments:

  1. Do you get to go to that place in the picture? When do you find out if your application is approved? What sort of volunteer work would you do while you are there?

    I think it sounds fun. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should do it - there is no substitute for getting outside the U.S. and realizing how great we have it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being excited for me Joe and Julie!!

    Joe, No, I don't know if thats where I go, I just googled a picture of peru cause it looked cool. I think I find out in November if I get approved. I think. There is different kinds of volunteer work, I don't know if I get to choose or if they assign me. But there is like construction, education, medical, making clothes and stuff for them. stuff like that. I would like to build something. You can look at the website under FAQ and it has stuff about that though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO IT! be so fun! i think you should do BYU jerusalem!!! My parents have been to peru many times...they could tell you could places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be going there for christmas.

    ReplyDelete